Sunday, November 16, 2008

Eastside Fish

Nashville Restaurants and Food
Eastside Fish
2617 Gallatin Pike
Nashville
615-227-8388
http://www.eastsidefish.com/menu.html

I’ve had fish sandwiches all over town, but I have to admit I didn’t make it to Eastside Fish until recently. Shame on me, I know, I know. So, I decided if I was going to do it, I had to do it right. I walked right in and ordered the Original OG King Fish sandwich. Now, they have plenty of normal size sandwiches, including whiting, tilapia, catfish and trout. The King Fish sandwich is anything but normal size. They advertise it as a pound and a half of fish. It may even have been more. The white bread looks kinda puny perched (sorry couldn’t resist) on top of the mountain of fried fish. Luckily, considering the amount of fish, it is fried super crispy, with a salty-peppery coating. Inside the fish is tender and holds up well. You have to pick out a bone every now and then, but considering you’re probably eating most of a fish not surprising.

I hefted my King Fish over to one of the picnic tables. The small interior at Eastside Fish has just a couple of tables. It’s mainly a take-out joint. The picnic table was a nice option and the kind staff even brought out an umbrella for the table when they saw I was eating there. Or perhaps they were watching to see if I keeled over trying to tackle the King Fish. It is perhaps one of Nashville’s craziest sandwiches. I started eating and, well, I just kept eating. I’m proud to say I finished the sucker and it tasted great right down to the last crumble.

In the future I will embark on a more normal sandwich. Perhaps backing off on the fish will allow me to also try the spaghetti, hush puppies or hot wings (called hoodwangs). You can order up fish by the sandwich, plate and even family style 9 and 12 piece buckets.

Eastside Fish specializes in fish and that really pays off in the quality department. I think I burped fish all day long. It was worth it. I paid $10.65 with tax and a drink.
East Side Fish on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

Heather W. said...

You all find the most interesting places! I am wondering what method you use. Do you search places out, or stop at places you happen to drive by?

Eric and Katie said...

heather: I've felt bad about not going to Eastside fish earlier since everyone has been raving about it for a couple of years. The other places we cover we often find by just driving by. We also get a lot of tips from readers of the blog...we have a stack still pending.