Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Goodbye Russia and Hello Catfish

Nashville Restaurants and Food
Midweek odds and ends

A reader pointed out last week that Taste of Russia in Cool Springs has closed. We verified that with the folks at Aleksey Market this weekend. The Taste of Russia location was a little hard to find, tucked away in an office park. We will miss the kind staff, cabbage piroshky and the chicken Kiev cutlets.

Meanwhile, you can find some daily German specials like goulash and schnitzel at Marcy’s Side Road Restaurant in Joelton. Marcella recently re-opened the restaurant, which had been Bill’s Catfish and Pizza. It’s located at 6165 Clarksville Pike. Our first visit was to see if the Catfish remained king, and indeed Marcy’s has done a good job of continuing the Bill’s tradition of crunchy batter and crispy, cake-like hush puppies. The homemade chicken noodle soup was comforting. We’ll try and get back for the German side of things soon.

7 comments:

Lannae said...

Oh, so sad about Taste of Russia. But, 1/2 the game is location, and they had a really bad location. We went a couple of times, and liked certain items they offered. But, it was a little weird being the only table or one of two tables in the place. I liked the dessert blintzes there. I am not a big dessert fan, and normally don't like blintzes. What can I say, I think Taste of Russia changed my taste buds about blintzes.

Oh, now I just want some of their dessert blintzes. I will miss that.

mIKES said...

Hey now - whats this about German food. Can you elaborate? Yet?

I have heard from a friend that there is a respectable German restaurant down the road in Manchester TN. I would sure like an alternative to what I presently assume is the only German place in Nashville.

Eric and Katie said...

Right now they just offer up a few German specials each day. Most of the menu is catfish, pizza and the usual American stuff. I have a friend from Wisconsin who loves real German-American food and he says Marcy's does a good job on some things and not so much on others. I still have not sampled the German fare.

Delaney Mae said...

But are the hush puppies AS GOOD AS Bill's? I'm crushed that Bill's threw in the towel; I worked there in college and could cheerfully eat my weight in those blessed hush puppies.

Eric and Katie said...

Delaney Mae: They're right up there. Since Marcy worked with him for some time I assume it's the same basic recipe. The catfish tasted similar.

Lannae said...

mIKES, I think there is a German-esque restaurant in Farragut, TN called Linderhof. Never ate there, friends out there say they like it for drinks, drinks, a long wait and German food. It is a long and drawn out 5 hr dinner (all is cooked to order). So getting there at 5:30, you will get drinks, 7:30 starters, and 9:30 dinner entrees. They like the drinks and the food.

Will said...

Marcy's is great. 50's style dinner with Southern and German food. Lunches tend to be more Southern while dinners favor authentic German food. Met Marcella who is from Germany. Thus very authentic (my family is from Germany and I've eaten many home cooked German meals.) A bit out of the way but worth the drive if your anywhere near Clarksville Highway and like good German food. If only she had Hassenpfeffer (sweet'n'sour rabbit) and Turtle Soup. Yummy.