Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Citizen Taco Hits Nashville

What happens when a Texas taco lover samples the taco truck fare in Nashville? Serious Eats has the scoop this week, and kudos to John Lamb at the very cool Hispanic Nashville Notebook blog for pointing it out.

Citizen Taco is from Austin and the manifesto on the website brings a tear to our eyes:
As Citizen Taco, I aim to be nothing less than the ultimate enabler for every person who seeks the same joy from their meals that they get from any other part of their lives. Food is more than a mere necessity. It has the ability to refashion us, to turn us from sour to sweet, from rotting to ripe. It stokes the fire of our bodies and powers the engine of our being. With fulfilling food comes a fulfilling life.

Citizen Taco hit up nine taco trucks on Gallatin Pike and Nolensville Road and while we think he missed a couple of our favorites, he has a great take on it all. he has some pretty amazing things to say about his top pick:

El Paisa
Gallatin Pike N at Elmore Avenue
Like that first hit that sends you down the road of addiction, the tacos at El Paisa started me off on a journey that would never yield anything quite as good. Simply stated, their tacos are some of the best I've ever tasted, on par with anything in Texas or California.

That's pretty cool coming from a Texan. We haven't been there yet and now it's on the itinerary for this week. Thanks for the visit Citizen Taco and we salute you for your work. I agree that there are some fantastic hole in the wall taco trucks and taquerias out there if only people would jump in and try them.

7 comments:

Lannae said...

Was it you that I commented on this or not? Or another food blog? Well, as I age, I forget and tell the same story over and over... So, if you read this before, oh well, here it is again. The What the Pho meet up group did a Nolensville Road Taco Truck tour Saturday, and I will be posting about that in the coming weeks (I have so much to post, and so little time). There are 2 trucks of the ones we ate that I did not know about, and they were my favorites!

mIKES said...

do you gotta speak-a the Spanish to eat here, you think? I am so damn shy about that....

aduthie said...

Had Taco Sunrise for lunch yesterday. Dickerson Road just north of Douglas. Might be my new favorite. On Nolensville, my new favorite is on the left side of the road, next to a gas station, shortly before the railroad overpass near the zoo entrance.

Eric and Katie said...

aduthie: I love the descriptions we have to do to identify the favorite taco trucks. My favorite has been the one in front of the supermercado on Murfreesboro Pike near the Waffle House. However, the other problem is they seem to change owners frequently, so you never know...mIKES I think they usually do a pretty good job with the hand gestures and english names. My crappy Spanish goes a long way at most of these joints. Lannae: We look forward to the tour report. All of this has inspired me to hit the road tomorrow for lunch if I can find the time!

Lannae said...

Rose, leader of What the Pho meet up group, went onto the health score website, searched on Taqueria and Nolensville Road, all the ones listed had health scores over 95, and that was the list we worked from. Some are now gone, and most are still there. In the future, Rose is going to search Taqueria and Charlotte Ave, and Taqueria and Murfreesboro Rd. What a great way to find places to eat in this town, through the health scores.

Anonymous said...

You guys should definitely check out Taqueria San Luis on Harding & Linbar and Taco Lopez #2 on Murfreesboro Rd.

In my opinion, the best 2 in Nashville.

Eric and Katie said...

Thanks Anon, I've been meaning to hit Taqueria San Luis for some time now...it has many fans.