Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Midweek: Smiley’s and I Dream

Nashville Restaurants and Food
Midweek: Smiley’s and I Dream

What happens when a Gospel minister and musician brings grandpapa’s corn bread recipe to East Nashville? Check out the new Gallatin Pike restaurant, Smiley’s Soulful Kitchen, and find out. That fried corn bread has a bit of sweet thanks to some sprinkled sugar and is perhaps some of the most addictive of its type in town. Also be sure to sample grandmama’s banana pudding with a bit of nutmegy spice to it. Smiley’s serves up a standard meat and three menu along with soups, salads and breakfast on the weekends.

They’re just getting going and they’ve been finding their legs in the kitchen. But the enterprise shows great promise. It’s the latest venture from Minister John Smiley who performs with his Gospel group the Voices. Ask him about the connection as he makes the rounds, checking on tables, and you’ll get a big grin. CDs are for sale behind the counter. We hope that they combine the musical and gastronomical talents in the future. Minister Smiley said he is considering the idea, although no plans are set yet. In the meantime, you can check out the gospel groove here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqWN2z9O7iA

Smiley’s Soulful Kitchen
3623 Gallatin Pike
Nashville
615-506-8109

The bright yellow VW bus is back in business. We made our first visit to the newly reconstituted I Dream of Weenie. The East Nashville hot doggery is under new management and parked just around the corner from the original location. Leslie Allen bought the bus lock, stock and barrel and has even kept much of the original menu. I sampled a good brat and a nicely spicy Flamin’ Frank (chili, jalapeno, onion and salsa) and found them to be as we remembered. The buns are still high quality and yet old fashion smushy in style. The Veggie Eater had the pimento cheese dog and found it okay; although she thought the bun might have been a tad bit stale (mine were fine). We paid $12 for our hot dog feast. We think that with the new location Leslie should do great in Five Points. That empty lot next to Bongo Java needed some sprucing up.

I Dream of Weenie
113 South 11th Street
Nashville
615-226-2622
www.facebook.com/IDreamofWeenie
Twitter: @IDreamofWeenie

3 comments:

roadside said...

I enjoyed Smiley's so much on Monday that I took my husband on Saturday.

They took our order and after a bit of a wait the waitress came to the table and said we had to pay before she'd bring the food. I thought that was a little odd and as the days pass, I feel a little offended. Don't know if I will return and I am sorry it was my husband's first experience there.

roadside said...

I enjoyed Smiley's so much on Monday that I took my husband on Saturday.

They took our order and after a bit of a wait the waitress came to the table and said we had to pay before she'd bring the food. I thought that was a little odd and as the days pass, I feel a little offended. Don't know if I will return and I am sorry it was my husband's first experience there.

roadside said...

I enjoyed Smiley's so much on Monday that I took my husband on Saturday.

They took our order and after a bit of a wait the waitress came to the table and said we had to pay before she'd bring the food. I thought that was a little odd and as the days pass, I feel a little offended. Don't know if I will return and I am sorry it was my husband's first experience there.