Sunday, October 16, 2011

Cori’s Dog House

Nashville Restaurants and Food
Cori’s Dog House
106 29th Avenue North
Nashville
615-329-9444
www.corisdoghouse.com

The bun or the wiener? The toppings or the dog? It’s easy to get into a fight with hot dog fanatics. Dog fans have their priorities and often those preferences collide. And then there are the many different styles: Chicago, Sonoran, Coney, Chili; it seems like everyone has a favorite. The new Cori’s Doghouse location in the West End falls into the big bun/mongo toppings side of things. They solve the topping battle by offering just about every possibility imaginable: 39 of them on the Nashville menu by my count. The choices span the country and get regional. Pick Arizona for an approximation of a Sonoran dog with bacon and jalapenos, or settle into Boston for a “Nor’easter” with maple baked beans.

It all starts with the buns and these babies are big ‘uns. They appear to be New England style buns, the type used at lobster shacks to hold a ton of stuff. They’re tall, doughy, slightly sweet and grilled nicely. They put those big buns to use by loading up the toppings to an absurd degree. For some folks, that may fly in the face of tradition. There’s no reason you can’t order your dog more reasonably topped. I enjoyed the topping craziness myself.

The dogs are good all-beef versions. You can multiply your options by trying a brat, Polish, andouille or Italian sausage with any combo you desire. Best of all the meat eaters can take a Veggie Eater along. Cori’s offers a veggie dog, vegan polish and vegan Italian. When combined with the veggie options for toppings, it leaves the Veggie Eater with an absurd number of combinations. That’s a nice development on a Friday night after a couple of beers.

I can barely lift the Arizona dog; it’s piled high with bacon, tomato, onion, cheese, mustard, salsa and jalapenos. It takes a couple of bites to actually reach dog. It proves thick and juicy. The Memphis has an interesting tang with the Cole slaw. The Alabama, with a juicy brat this time, features decent sticky chili and high-grade kraut. The Hawaiian is a bit much with the sweet pineapple and mango relish. The Italian sausage though, is quite good.

Veggie Eater: I know, I know…what is the point of a veggie dog? The point is this: if you happen to be a Meat Eater married to a vegetarian, you can call a truce. The good news here is that there are plenty of choices. Many versions are veggie friendly here. The Michigan offers sautéed mushrooms, and your choice of cheese. I found my veggie dog to be a delightful meal. Add to this, fresh-cut French fries and addictive fried pickles and you truly have a reasonable compromise night-out for a Meat Eater and Veggie Eater.

Meat Eater: A big bonus for this Nashville location is the parking lot, which avoids the usual West End trolling for a space annoyance. It’s vivid red and yellow inside, so you won’t be falling asleep. They can roll up the garage door windows in nice weather, giving the big space some air, or you can take to the patio. The staff seems well-trained and quick. We didn’t wait more than a couple of minutes for our dogs to be ready.

I paid $11 for a solo visit and we paid $22 together and that brings a ton of food, much more than humanly needed. It’s one of the better cheap eats options in the West End.

Cori's Doghouse on Urbanspoon

15 comments:

Pete said...

I really love the food that Cori’s puts out, but I’m slightly turned off after my visit this past weekend. I just realized that they don’t use natural casing dogs. That may not matter to most people, but there’s a definitely a really unusual texture to the dog that’s mostly covered up by the toppings. It’s almost gritty and unpleasant.

Eric and Katie said...

Pete: Didn't notice it myself, but I'm a fair-weather dog fan, so I'm not the best judge. I thought the dog, brat and Italian of reasonable quality, although there are better in town.

Pete said...

I believe Hot Diggity Dog is the only place in Nashville that serves Vienna dogs. I can't recall where or even if Cori's publishes the source of their dogs. It's a minor issues that doesn't matter to most. I'm a big fan of hot dogs, and there's something about the snap factor that really hits home.

Eric and Katie said...

Pete: I think the Dog of Nashville also serves Vienna dogs....and yes, it's easier to tell the difference when there is not as much stuff piled on top. I also enjoyed the coney dogs at Jim's...they recently shut down.

EdKing said...

Jim's Coney Island SHUT DOWN?!?!? WHAT!?!??!! NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eric and Katie said...

Ed: Sadly, that is what is being reported. I haven't had a chance to check myself. When I do I'll update their entry.

Anonymous said...

Eric, Kate, you can see here - note the 5th comment and the reference by Nicki...

http://www.nashvillescene.com/bites/archives/2011/10/07/first-bites-meet-weekly-open-thread

Anonymous said...

@Pete are you suggesting they use collagen skinned dogs? That stuff ought to be banned..

=mike

Eric and Katie said...

Yeah, I saw that too....I have called a couple of times to Jim's over the last two days and no answer. So I am calling Jim's closed on the site. If anyone hears differently please let me know. I don't get down their too often.

Eric and Katie said...

Yeah, I saw that too....I have called a couple of times to Jim's over the last two days and no answer. So I am calling Jim's closed on the site. If anyone hears differently please let me know. I don't get down their too often.

restaurants in philippines said...

The hot dogs here come in this nice buttered sandwich instead of the usual bun, A nice little twist on this Americana dish.

Pete said...

@ Mike- No, I'm suggesting something like the Vienna natural casing dogs that use sheep casings.

Anonymous said...

I am sooo excited about them having veggie dogs and vegan options!! I seriously squealed when I read that. I LOVE hot dogs but alas have been a vegetarian for 13 years, and always complain how easy it would just be for places to have a veggie dog but no one ever does. I recently moved here from Charleston Sc, and Jack's Cosmic Dogs had a veggie dog and I went there often. Since I moved to Nashville I've felt a loss, until now!!

Eric and Katie said...

Anon: One good part of the hot dog trend in Nashville is that most of the joints offer a veggie dog option. Cori's seems to have the most meatless options that we have seen though and you're right...that's a good thing for veggie eaters!

Anonymous said...

Well...I'm not one for a "tough" natural casing myself, but just an FYI, Cori's uses Sabrett's brand all-beef hot dogs. In my opinion, one of the best! I've also never noticed a gritty texture on my dog, unless it's in the ketchup I top it with... I suppose with a "natural" casing, you either love it or hate it, I'm going to choose no on having my dog encased with intestine. No offense.